Friday, April 2, 2010

Watercolor Illustrations

A couple of watercolor illustrations. I'd intended to color these in Photoshop, like this conceptual drawing, but decided to go with watercolors instead. Even with tons of screw-ups, the watercolor still looks better. Watercolor is always a little unpredictable, which is both frustrating and rewarding.

Regardless of everything I've learned and studied, I almost always work wet-in-wet. I'm too impatient to wait for an illustration to dry and add that nice, clean shadow effect. But, it is what it is.


6 comments:

  1. My first visit to your blog, these are really nice and clean looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I am in position to critique or not, but the prespective still bothers me on the lil john one. Some thing about the width of the stance or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I agree. I should have fixed the perspective on this one. Too often, I go with my initial rough and don't rework it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rosy, and welcome to the blog! I set my watercolors aside for too long and am trying to get back the feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, John. It's always good to get critical feedback, though!

    ReplyDelete