Thursday, February 4, 2010

Roy Crane Buz Sawyer Unfinished Strip

I ran across this original Buz Sawyer strip on ebay. It was unused because creator Roy Crane spilled a big goop of ink on it. I think we've all done something like this at some point, and sometimes it's just not fixable.
Click to supersize

Speaking of not fixable, the photos that were posted on ebay were awful. I did my best to take the misaligned close-up shots and piece them together into one image. It is dated August 25, 1945. It would be interesting to compare it with the "do-over" strip.


Anyways, this allows us a look at a rare, unfinished strip by Roy Crane. Note the hand sketches in the bottom right-hand corner. The strip was given to political cartoonist Jim Ivey, who had it hung in the Cartoon Museum in Orlando. The inscription reads: What a smuck smear! This is one of the few strips I've done over. Best wishes to friend Jim Ivey from Roy Crane.

3 comments:

  1. Wups! Looks like you're right. I was going off of what the ebay seller had. But it looks like "smear" to me. "Smuck" is the wrong spelling anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the hands around the margins. He was obviously trying to figure out which way to position the hand pointing in the last frame.

    ReplyDelete