Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Dick Tracy

Several months ago there was a rumor abuzz that Dick Locher might be retiring soon from the Dick Tracy strip. I took that opportunity to draw up a few samples of my own and sent them to TMS. I couldn't resist doing my take on how I thought Dick Tracy should be done. That probably killed its chances from the start.
First off, there's not enough room any more to tell a story, so I designed the strip to be full-page width. Yes, I know, only newspapers on the planet Saturn would go for that. But that's just how much room a comic strip needs nowadays, so that's how I drew it.

By today's standards, that would mean a strip would be about eleven inches wide. Sounds crazy good and wacky, but that's about the size Dick Tracy ran when it first started, back when newspapers weren't paper napkin-sized.
Second, I didn't make it look anything like its current incarnation. I was more inspired by the powerful strips that Chester Gould made in the 1930s, when Tracy was at his peak. I got hooked by IDW's Complete Dick Tracy, which reprinted the first couple years of the strip. 
TMS liked the strips. They said they'd keep me in mind; a polite way of saying No, I reckon. I did have fun, though, and got it out of my system.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ted, If you took four of the panels in each strip you did, and stacked them so they could also be a panel, as well as a strip, and then use your "fifth panel for the first one of the next one...you know....I think this would have a legit shot. The art is top top notch. Everything you do is, but with the panel you have a shot at selling inot twice as many papers. it's a big selling point for NANCY.
    Absolutely terrific work. I would love to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work. Though, in strip #1 you have them shaking with left hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Guy. That's not a bad idea. Maybe I should repackage it like that and send it back in. Couldn't hurt.

    Anonymous, that's a good catch. I set it up wrong; I needed to show the electrical glove he was wearing. I probably should have flipped the preceding panel.

    ReplyDelete