Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Sideways Comic Strip

And here I always thought I had invented the sideways comic strip.

I just saw over at Bhob's blog via Comics Reporter that Roy Crane did it long ago, and of course, 'way better. I'm a huge fan of Crane's work in Buzz Sawyer and Captain Easy.

Actually, I was never so vain as to think I "invented" the idea; I just haven't seen another one until now. Occasionally I liked to push the envelope a little and see what I could do with that little space of newsprint.

If you know of any other "sideways" comic strips that have been published, let me know.

AMENDMENT:
Stacy, you were right about Rose is Rose. I found this "sideways" strip of Pat Brady's.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure Pat Brady did some sideways "Rose is Rose" comic strips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least one pre-2000 BEETLE BAILY (IIRC it involved Cookie) and I'm pretty sure a couple of LI'L ABNERS. MUTTS has done some vertical strips but I don't know if they pre-date yours.

    Always loved SPOONER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Buzz.

    I am surprised you mentioned Beetle Bailey. Now I'm wanting to find them all and publish a collection of all "sideways" strips.

    ReplyDelete