Saturday, August 22, 2009

Southern Justice (Murder in Mississippi)


I ran across a Norman Rockwell painting I've never seen before, called Southern Justice. This depicts the murders of the three civil rights workers in Mississippi. As I understand it, this is Rockwell's color sketch, which Look magazine chose over the finished painting, but I'm not sure if it was actually published or not. At any rate, a powerful, masterful work.
(Note: This is the final painting, as a reader pointed out. The looser sketch was used in the magazine.)

2 comments:

  1. The version you are showing is not the sketch but the finished final illustration. LOOK indeed published the preliminary sketch instead. You can find it by Googling "murder in mississippi rockwell."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You're right, and I did find the sketch as published in Look.

    ReplyDelete