Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Making Potholders

I believe I have found my true calling. Made potholders with my daughter this week for an upcoming homeschool craft fair.

It was very therapeutic. Nice to have something to do with her, and keep me away from the computer or thinking about work.

It reminds me of an old Archie comics story, drawn by the great Harry Lucey. Fred Andrews, Archie's pop, finds out the family doctor, his golfing buddy, cross-stitches. Fred is appalled and vows not to hang out any more with such an unmanly man, and find a new doctor.



His wife Mary says, "You go ahead. Find yourself a manly doctor who's all thumbs. I'll stick with one who has a steady hand, sharp eyes and knows how to use a needle." 'Course, he then sees his prejudice and the error of his thinking.

Could be it's good for us to find other hobbies that will help keep our fingers limber and minds clutter-free. Too much time at the drawing table can cramp up both.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH I make these pot holders too! I find them so relaxing when I need a break from drawing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty potholders!
    That's a nice way to take a break from the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete