Friday, October 3, 2008

What Artists are Saying About Orphan Works Act

Illustration work allows me to provide for my family; teaching allows me to give back to the community. My belief in stewardship brings me to the Orphaned Work Bills. This legislation strikes at the core of what we are as illustrators, how we do our business and why we chose to be illustrators.”

– CF Payne, Artist

"I fought for the rights of Superman's creators, Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster. Others made millions while Superman's creators lived in near poverty. Jerry was a clerk and Joe was a legally blind man who lived in his brother's apartment, slept on a cot and worked as a messenger.

"I met and fought for their small remaining rights when they both turned only 60 years old...The battle took months and the settlement was meager, but it let the men live the remaining years of their lives with dignity.

"You know what they cared about most? They cared about having their names once again associated with their character, Superman! Why? Because it was what they were as people. They were their work. Why do we have copyright law? Because we wish to protect people and their creations, even if they are 'hard to locate.'"

-- Neal Adams, Artist

“In 2006, I registered 58,731 images, and in 2007, 71,919 images. If a registry charged $0.50 per image to submit and process, I would have to pay $29,365.50 to protect my 2006 images, and $35,959.50 to protect my 2007 images, for just those years."

Testimony Concerning How the Proposed Orphan Works Bill Will Economically Impact Photographers, by John Harrington, Professional Photographer

More

Note: The Graphic Artists Guild has given up, choosing to actively support the lesser of two evils, and likewise is encouraging creators to quit fighting the issue. As far as I can tell, this does not represent the wishes of their members or other groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment