Thursday, October 23, 2008

Spooner Comic Strip Collection


The new Spooner anthology is now available through Lulu Publishing. This 238-page, 8.5" X 8.5" paperback collects all the daily comic strips (sans Sundays) from the first to the last.
I decided to publish this mostly for myself, just so I could have all the comics in one easily-accessible place, but thought I might as well make it available to the public. It sells for $14.95 plus shipping.

Spooner was syndicated by the Los Angeles Times Syndicate shortly before it was bought out by the Tribune Co. About a month before 9/11 I moved Spooner to United Media, and I began self-syndicating the strip a few months after that. It features Spooner and Roxanne, a young married couple learning the ropes of marriage. I can't tell you how many letters I received from couples who accused me of having a hidden camera in their house.

The strip ran in a very modest number of international and domestic newspapers from January 3, 2000 (the day of the last daily Peanuts) to June 15, 2002. Spooner was also published in two comic books and one trade paperback (Spooner: Love is Strange) by Astonish Comics.

6 comments:

  1. Looks good. I'll check it out.

    Will the Sundays eventually have its own collection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the plan! I'd like to be able to find a larger book format for the Sundays than what is now available. Lulu has a 9" X 7" book size which would do alright, but that's still kind of small for Sunday strips. I used the "third page format" so the Sunday strips are not comprised of panels that can be re-arranged.

    It'll be a little bigger project than this book, because I'll have to redo a lot of the coloring due to not having the color files. Of course, I could just release them in black and white. But that's kind of like marketing a product called "Coke Zero."

    If you get the book, let me know what you think! Out of about 700 strips, there's gotta be at least one funny one in there!

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought it. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed the link to order this anthology for my fiancé, as he is a huge Spooner fan, for a Christmas surprise and discovered nothing more than a page which informs me that the book is no longer available. Is this truly the case? I hope not as I know he would love to have this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago.

    A few days later I got an email from Lulu that there was a problem with the order and they were checking it out.

    A few days after that they said there was a problem with the author's book files and they were returning my money.

    Now it doesn't seem to be available.

    Hope it gets worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear. I hope it does get worked out as I would really love to purchase this. I guess we will have to wait and see.

    Mr. Dawson,

    HELP! Or any info you have on the situation would be much appreciated.

    thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete