Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Splash!



I took the digital plunge yesterday and bought a Wacom Cintiq.
I got the Cintiq 20WSX model.
I couldn't wait to get it home, unbox it, hook it up and test it out.
I had a little issue hooking it up because I lost the adapter that came with my iMac (doh!) and then I found out my iMac didn't have the capability to support a dual monitor setup. I downloaded a patch and everything is in tip-top shape.

So I drew the drawing above on my Cintiq tonight.

Special thanks to Tom Richmond and Darrin Bell. for their advice on buying a Cintiq.

If there's enough interest, I may post a video or two of me drawing on the Cintiq and a review once I break it in.

For the record, I'm not saying I'm completely moving over to working digitally, I still love sitting at my drawing table with my paints, a fresh sheet of watercolor paper and a big ol' jar of water. I see the Cintiq as being another tool for me to draw with...I have several coffee mugs filled with brushes, pencils, pens, etc. and now I have a Cintiq sitting among them.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a nice drawing! Can't wait to see more. Is that sucker heavy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-
    OK, you have to help me out here!
    I use the same model you bought at work(I'm a storyboard artist). Finally broke down and ordered one to use at home. But I figured I'd have to buy a new mac--either a macbook pro or a mac mini+monitor, as the imac I currently have has no "DVI" port/plug in it(I have the old "sunflower" model). In fact, as far as I could tell at the Apple store today there's no option for me other than buying one of those models--NO "converters" to link the DVI-cintiq plug to the firewire/usb/etc ports on my imac or on the "less expensive" current imacs...is this right or not? What's the adapter you're talking about and which model of mac do you use? Gah! I feel so tech-challenged!
    Please help!
    Thanks--and ncie drawing! I hope you love the cintiq-and post some videos soon.
    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to see a demo for sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, do you know what ports you have available for video on the back of your iMac?

    BTW--I will be posting a video soon of me using the Cintiq, now that I've been getting used to it. Thanks for your interest.

    ReplyDelete