Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Halftone Printing


To me, my art doesn't feel like it's really printed unless it's a bad halftone like I grew up with. Otherwise it looks like a slick laser copy, even when its in a book. Silly, I know. But it's like a CD doesn't sound right because there are no pops and scratches.
I tried to talk Scott Sava into publishing the Spooner books on cheap newsprint at 120 lpi. But he wanted the best paper and best reproduction. And they turned out the better for it! But you know, nostalgia, I guess...

Hm. Maybe it has something to do with getting older today. Forty-two! Damn.

Time to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, Ted, I love that look. Mark Tatulli did a Lio Sunday strip colored like that, like an old comic book. In the middle of all the neat 'n' cleanly photoshop-colored strips, it jumped off the page.

    And Happy Birthday! At 21 + 21 you can now drink twice as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Say, I believe I saw one of your illustrations in the last Smithsonian. I like that style!

    ReplyDelete