Sunday, December 30, 2007

My Favorite Picture Books of 2007

Here's my list of my favorite picture books that I bought this past year, NOT necessarily published in 2007.

In no particular order ....

  • "Miss Nelson is Missing" by Harry Allard and illustrated by James Marshall
    I just came across this book over the holidays and I did not see the ending coming at all, which is why it made my list. Great story, superb ending. I want to be able to make books like this.


  • "The Land of Lost Things" by Mort Walker and Dik Browne
    A picture book by Mort Walker, creator of "Beetle Bailey" and Dik Browne, creator of "Hagar the Horrible." This is my favorite picture book that I bought this year, though it was published in 1972. The artwork makes me drool. I was lucky enough to meet Mort Walker this year, talk about the book and sign the book for me. I had to buy it via eBay, but it was worth all the searching. I LOVE THIS BOOK.

  • "Russell's Christmas Magic" by Rob Scotton
    I love the artwork in Rob Scotton's Russell the Sheep series! This is a great book and I'd recommend the other two Russell the Sheep books as well!

  • "Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book" by Dr. Seuss
    I came across this book earlier this year while perusing the bookstore and saw a spread in it that knocked my socks off! The creativity behind one spread caused me to buy the entire book. I'm not going to tell you what that spread is. Maybe you'll know once you see the book. It's a great read!


  • "Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest" by John Lechner
    I became familiar with John Lechner's work this year and it's delightful stuff! Check out this book and another great book of his is "A Froggy Fable."


  • "I'd Really Like to Eat a Child" by Sylviane Donnio, Illustrated by Dorothee de Monfreid
    I would've bought this book on the title alone! One of my favs!

  • "Timmy and Tammy's Train of Thought" by Oliver Chin, Illustrated by Heath McPherson
    Delicious artwork and a great book for any child who likes trains. The artwork caught my attention and I'm glad I bought it.

  • "Ghost Gets Dressed" by Janee Trasler
    This is a fun follow-up book to Janee's "Ghost Eats It All!" book. It's got a Glow-In-The-Dark cover! OOooooooo......

  • "Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich" by Adam Rex
    Adam Rex is a GREAT illustrator. He's got fans over here on Three Men in a Tub! I love this book, in addition to the two books he had in 2007: "Pssst!" and "The True Meaning of Smekday." Awesome artwork with fun stories!


  • "Bossy Bear" by David Horvath
    From the co-creator of Uglydolls, this book is terrific! I love the story and the artwork made me pick it up.

  • "13 Ghosts of Halloween" by Robin Muller and illustrated by Patricia Storms
    Wonderful is all you can say about this book. I love, love, love the artwork by Patricia Storms!

    And last, but definitely not least ...


  • A Do-It-Yourself Little Golden Book
    Ted Dawson pointed me towards these and it took me forever to get one on eBay. The front cover and inside pages are blank, draw your own book! I'm told you can get them individually or in as a bonus book in a six book box set of Little Golden Books. Either way, they're fun to play with and would make a terrific project for any kid or adult!
  • 3 comments:

    1. This was the first year I ever saw Miss Nelson is missing too! One of my daughters brought it home from school. The kids love it!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Awww...shucks! Thanks so much, Stacy. You're a sweetie!

      Happy New Year!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hey! Thanks for including Ghost in your faves!

      ReplyDelete