Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Dracorex hogwartsia


I saw a very cool dinosaur on the cover of the latest National Geographic. Its name is Dracorex hogwartsia. Under the brush of a good illustrator (like on the NG cover) it looks uber-cool and resembles a dragon.

I really wanted to try drawing one. I used a photo of a fossilized skull to work from. I don't really like to make dinosaurs look mean, especially since this one was an herbivore, but when I showed it to my daughter she said it looked cute, so I guess I didn't make it look too ferocious.

I wasn't really happy with how it was turning out, so I started fiddling around with levels and contrast and saturation in Photoshop. With this I achieved a darker, shadowy look that gave it a bit more realism and feeling of foreboding. I'm not sure what foreboding means, but it sounds right.

I'm not sure of the history of the dinosaur's name but it was done in honor of billionaire Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. I don't think she looks anything like a dinosaur, but...

Dracorex lived about 80 million years ago during the late Cretaceous in South Dakota.

3 comments:

  1. "Dracorex is a dinosaur genus of the family Pachycephalosauridae, from the Late Cretaceous of North America. The type (and only) species is Dracorex hogwartsia, meaning "dragon king of Hogwarts".

    Hogwarts being the school of wizardry that Harry Potter and his friends attend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.

    Very cool painting!
    Your attention to details is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stacy. If you saw what they're supposed to look like, your wouldn't say that. The detail is all wrong, and really there's not much. Main thing I try to do is get the lighting right. The texture of the skin is just a preset leaf scatter brush in PS. I wish I COULD do all the detail that's necessary. With this kind of stuff, calculus is needed and I'm still learning my multiplication tables.

    ReplyDelete