Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Unpublished Spooner



Not that there's anything particularly interesting about unpublished Spooner strips, since nobody has actually read all of them (except for me and my editor), but here are a couple of unpublished Spooner strips. These were actually part of my submission package to the syndicates. I'm pretty sure they're drawn on poster board, and inked with a Uniball pen and a Sharpie. Once I started actually having to draw a daily strip, I learned to ink with a Hunt 512. Much, much faster and eventually, more beautifuller.
And I'm happy to say that we're getting a house that has three bathrooms. Yes!

6 comments:

  1. Can you scan a Hunt 512 and let us see what that looks like?

    I don't think I've ever seen one.

    Do you only ink with that nib now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog from time to time and loved the unpublished spooner drawings. I have one hanging on my fridge where it talks about climbing trees.
    I think that is my all time fave!
    Thanks for the technical stuff also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Di! Is that the one with Spooner and his brother up in a tree... a Sunday strip? Where in the world did you run across that one? I'm glad you like it. I always love drawing trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ted, that's the one. They are discussing why people stop climbing trees when they grow up - in my case, never! (Well, I don't climb 'em as well as I used to.)

    I ran across it about two years ago I believe on either comics.com or ucomics, one of the two.

    Trees are my favorites also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Di, if you'd like a higher-res copy of that cartoon to print out, I uploaded it to my website. You can download it here:

    www.teddawson.com/Sp010429color.tif

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ted, you rock dude! Thanks a million. I just printed another copy for my office, yeah, you heard me - my office.

    They must think I'm nuts with all of these cartoons.

    - Diana Reyes :)

    ReplyDelete