Wednesday, September 5, 2007

More Inking Jack Kirby


I had so much fun inking Jack Kirby's pencils a few months ago that I thought I'd try it again. Needed a break from the reg'lar stuff. I don't really do it justice, but it's fun and learnful.

Jack Kirby wasn't really known for his Superman work. When he was ready to leave Marvel, of course DC was ready to snap him up. But when he worked on Supes, they had someone else go through and re-do his face in the house style. Very weird. It would be like reading a Dr. Seuss book but all the characters have Richie Rich heads.

I'm not a huge Kirby fan, but the fundamental way he worked pretty much set the standards for comics even today. I guess this is my equivalent of sitting in front of the Mona Lisa and painting it to learn from a master. After all, the way I learned to draw was from copying everything I saw when I was a kid.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, it was bizarre how they had someone redraw Kirby's Superman. They were scared of trying something new. You can get some of the unamended art if you search. Personally, I don't think his style was suited to Superman (just like it wasn't suited to Spider-man).
    Still, nice ink job.

    ReplyDelete