Saturday, June 30, 2007

Howie Schneider, 1930-2007



I have been of a fan of Howie Schneider's since I was a kid. I followed his "Eek & Meek" comic strip because it was one of the very few comics our local newspaper carried. I love, love, love the simplicity!

Within the last few years, I have become familiar with Howie's children's books, of which I'm a huge fan.
If you haven't come across some of his books, I urge you to go to your local library, bookstore, etc. and check them out.
Absolutely brilliant work!

The sad news has come that Howie passed away on Thursday from complications following heart surgery. He was 77 years old.

Howie was a comic stripper, an editorial cartoonist, a sculptor, a painter and a children's book author/illustrator.
He obviously loved creating art.

Condolences go to his family.


LINKS:
The Provincetown Banner story on Howie Schneider.
Journalista
Mike Lynch's blog
A remembrance on Paul Giambarba's blog

Images from "Chewy Louie" by Howie Schneider.

1 comment:

  1. Sad to hear. I love Howie's approach to cartooning. I read an article on him once in Cartoonist Profiles mag and he sounded like a fun guy to hang out with.

    ReplyDelete