Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wicked





Last night, my wife and I took the "Behind the Emerald Curtain" behind-the-scenes tour of the musical, Wicked - The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz. We had seen the musical a couple of months ago, but for my birthday, I wanted to take the behind-the-scenes tour of this musical I have become so obsessed with.

I'm attracted to the character, Elphaba, a.k.a. The Wicked Witch of the West. I always have been, but Wicked adds layers and layers to her character that I couldn't have ever imagined. Is she Wicked, or is she just misunderstood? I'm very caught up in this wonderful story.

For an illustrator, Wicked is wicked cool! There's just so much for your eyes to see! The details that Susan Hilferty put into the costume designs are just mind-blowing. Behind-the-scenes, we got to see the buttons on the guards' coats...they have OZ on them. And yet, sitting in the audience, you'd never ever see that tiny detail.

We learned that Wicked was being considered as a movie, when a call went to the folks in Hollywood to say, There's music in this story! So the search for a screenwriter for Wicked ended and it became a hit musical.

Wicked is an amazing experience.

As an illustrator, I'd recommend this musical for anyone with an eye for detail. Put in sound-blocking earplugs and this musical is still amazing!
As a fan of theatre, I'd recommend this musical to everyone.

I'm begging my wife for tickets to see it one more time.

Read the book, go see the musical and tell Elphaba, I sent you.

Links:
Wicked, the musical
Wicked, The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

Images from the official Wicked web site.

5 comments:

  1. Stacy, I couldn't agree more. This is a fantastic tale and a wonderful theatrical production. My son and his drama group from high school travelled six hours to see it, several summers ago, and came home raving about it!__ Well, as it turns out, the company my sister in law works for is a huge financial backer of the play...so for Spring Break '06, the family loaded up and drove to Chicago. We had fourth row seats, front and center. After the play was over we got a personal tour backstage by the Stage Manager. It was an awesome experience for our kids and my wife and myself! We would give anything to see the play again!___Stacy, do you want to be, POPULAR? Great music, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bucky, come to Chicago and we'll see it again with you two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great, Stacy! Let me win the lottery first and then I'll get back to you.___Great play but not a cheap date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoot! I was hoping you'd pick up the tab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, if I win the lottery I'll not only pay for the four of us to go to the play but I'll also pay for Alphaba to give you a lap dance.

    ReplyDelete