Thursday, March 1, 2007

Early Reader


This is from an early reader book I did. It wasn't the most exciting material in the world, but I kinda like the funky look of the street and houses. This was on Arches 140 lb, with Van Gogh watercolor tubes and my old two-dollar set of kids watercolors that I started out with about four years ago. I usually work by wetting the individual areas right before I paint them, working wet-in-wet. It's easier to blend and fix things that way, and gives me a little more time. You have to work pretty quickly with watercolor, but then wait for some drying time, which is kind of sadistic when you think about it.

3 comments:

  1. I love the "wet in wet" effect. not something I do often, but you've got me wanting to try it again.

    Great job!

    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  2. It probably adds some time to my painting, but one of the things I like about it is that I can establish the area of color with water first. Then when I lay in the paint, it will not cross the boundaries of the wet area. I can also do something like add red to cheeks, ears and nose without it blotching up.
    Probably one drawback is that it dilutes the paint even more, and I end up with more saturated hues than I'd prefer, which means having to let it dry and go back to do more glazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... make that, "DEsaturated hues."

    ReplyDelete