Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Testing the Water


This piece has some problems, but shows what I'd like to be able to do more of -- minimal background using lots of white but that still shows the environment clearly.

There is a painter whose name I would LOVE to be able to recall. He is a watercolorist, and has a beautiful way of doing outdoor scenes with edges that turn to white in a natural way, no hard edges. I had wondered if Bill Watterson was influenced by him, as there is a similarity between the way Watterson would use watercolor on the covers of one or two of his books. I believe the artist is Dutch, but I can't remember for certain. And try searching on the web for an artist or illustrator without any specifics and oh, boy... If anybody knows who this might be, I'd be forever indebted.

2 comments:

  1. I love this!

    It wasn't until I went back through my comics collection books did I realize lots of comic strip creators do not put a background in most of the panels of their strips. All these years, I think my mind has been filling in the "blanks."

    Again, I love how you only have the necessary information in this piece of art. Less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a delicate, smart thing to do. This picture fools me into painting most of the background mentally myself, by just the right amount of information in the right places.

    ReplyDelete