Wednesday, February 7, 2007

A paper test...


I'm about to start painting a children's book and I thought I'd try out a sheet of paper I bought awhile ago and was too intimidated to use. Normally, I don't recommend trying new materials while on a tight deadline. It never works out.

After I watercolored a few doodles on this paper, I'm in love with it.
It took the paint and ink beautifully and I was able to rework some parts of the drawing.
It's a nice big sheet of Strathmore Series 500 bristol.

The book calls for bright colors and man, this really did it for me.
I'm usually a cold-pressed paper kinda guy, but this is opening my eyes to painting on a smoother surface.

I'm headed to the art supply store tomorrow to buy a bunch of it for this project.

BTW - This character keeps showing up in my sketchbooks, practice drawings, etc. He's begging to be the star of a future project!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful color. I'm a big fan of this fellow and yes, I have noticed he pops up from time to time.

    I've got some of that paper too. Maybe I'll have another look at it.

    -Wes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Stacy. Really cool crazy look with the colors. I like the character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add me to the list of admirers of this piece and what you've done with the colors. Sweet experiment!

    ReplyDelete